Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DAY 12: My Indian-ish kitchen: Cooking with Indian Bitter Melon--a cultural leap but a possible cure for cancer

On February 1st, I posted a photo from H-Mart of a mound of Indian bitter melons, because I thought they were so beautiful, but didn't buy them.  A week later, I reconsidered and went back to H-Mart....

 
 Before purchasing them, however, I had to do some research to find a recipe, and where better for Indian food, than Yahoo India.  If you're interested in Indian food, it's the place to start.  in.yahoo.com  
(link to lifestyles, then cuisine)

What I learned about bitter melon (karela) is that not only is it EXTREMELY bitter--despite the cooking methods--it is currently being studied in India as a cure for prostate cancer.
here's the recipe I tried, using potatoes and tomatoes--
Tomatoes and potatoes cut some of the bitterness.
 The recipe includes mango powder (amchur powder), which also helps with the bitterness.  You really can't find this unless you go to an Indian grocery store.  I went to 
Ananda Bazaar, 3102 S. Parker Rd., A6

Here's my attempt at KARELA (bitter melon or gourd), which was absolutely delicious--after I removed all of the karela!  It was too much of a leap.........alas.
To accompany the karela, I made KABLI CHANNA, curried chick peas, served on brown basmati rice.
No leap here!



No comments:

Post a Comment